Am I depressed? Or do I have Bipolar Disorder?
Two questions that I have been asking myself a lot lately. I have been reading up on both of these illnesses and I have to say that I am worried. My moods have always been a little erratic, and I have been prone to the odd crying jag. I was even diagnosed a couple of years ago with pre-mentral depression. The treatment then was to a) acknowledge the problem and mark on a calender when I should expect to feel like shit and b) to go on the pill. This treatment seemed to work, and I didn't have any real problems. But now, I have been once again, feeling like shit, having more and more "blah" days and have been prone to unexpected crying jags, that even I think are unreasonable. I've been taking vitamins that were once recommended to me to help with the pre-menstral thing, and they are supposed to even out my moods... but still to no avail.
These are the six main features of mania and hypomania:
Increased energy - I have been known to jump about "just because", followed by a rapid downfall in mood, sometimes tears.
Positive mood - I can be extremely optimistic, pointing out the "bright side of life" to anyone who'll listed. i.e. "Dog died" my response "at least they're in a better place, etc"
Irritability - This one is a tricky one, I on occassion have been known to get pissed off for no reason - my sister knows the signs well and even points them out to Sam if he's there!
Inappropriate behaviour - Is approaching a table of senior work colleagues and announcing "Hi my name's Amber and i'm an alcholic" as an icebreaker enough evidence of this?
Creativity - Going on a 4:30pm dash to Bunnings because nothing else is open and I must paint even though it's not a regular thing for me.
Mystical experiences - now this one is a tricky one - I have an active imagination and it is this mental tool that sometimes is my downfall... thinking about things too much, the what if's the maybe when's, etc. But, I don't see ghosts, I don't have imaginary friends (except for my "guides" who I found in Alpha) and I don't confuse my imagination for reality, it can just upset me alot.
I've done the Self-assessment on Black Dog Institute and got 42, and then 37 - and over 22 it is guaranteed to go see someone for a clinical assessment.
What is wrong with me? It's not normal to feel like this I'm sure. There are times when I know that I am being unreasonable and yet, i can't swing round to being positive about something... Am I just a moody person? Is there any such thing as normal? Do I want to take medication to sort whatever it is out? Am i even sick or is it my mind playing tricks on me ala Hypercondriac style? What do you recommend?
Two questions that I have been asking myself a lot lately. I have been reading up on both of these illnesses and I have to say that I am worried. My moods have always been a little erratic, and I have been prone to the odd crying jag. I was even diagnosed a couple of years ago with pre-mentral depression. The treatment then was to a) acknowledge the problem and mark on a calender when I should expect to feel like shit and b) to go on the pill. This treatment seemed to work, and I didn't have any real problems. But now, I have been once again, feeling like shit, having more and more "blah" days and have been prone to unexpected crying jags, that even I think are unreasonable. I've been taking vitamins that were once recommended to me to help with the pre-menstral thing, and they are supposed to even out my moods... but still to no avail.
These are the six main features of mania and hypomania:
Increased energy - I have been known to jump about "just because", followed by a rapid downfall in mood, sometimes tears.
Positive mood - I can be extremely optimistic, pointing out the "bright side of life" to anyone who'll listed. i.e. "Dog died" my response "at least they're in a better place, etc"
Irritability - This one is a tricky one, I on occassion have been known to get pissed off for no reason - my sister knows the signs well and even points them out to Sam if he's there!
Inappropriate behaviour - Is approaching a table of senior work colleagues and announcing "Hi my name's Amber and i'm an alcholic" as an icebreaker enough evidence of this?
Creativity - Going on a 4:30pm dash to Bunnings because nothing else is open and I must paint even though it's not a regular thing for me.
Mystical experiences - now this one is a tricky one - I have an active imagination and it is this mental tool that sometimes is my downfall... thinking about things too much, the what if's the maybe when's, etc. But, I don't see ghosts, I don't have imaginary friends (except for my "guides" who I found in Alpha) and I don't confuse my imagination for reality, it can just upset me alot.
I've done the Self-assessment on Black Dog Institute and got 42, and then 37 - and over 22 it is guaranteed to go see someone for a clinical assessment.
What is wrong with me? It's not normal to feel like this I'm sure. There are times when I know that I am being unreasonable and yet, i can't swing round to being positive about something... Am I just a moody person? Is there any such thing as normal? Do I want to take medication to sort whatever it is out? Am i even sick or is it my mind playing tricks on me ala Hypercondriac style? What do you recommend?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home